- Policy Resources
- News & Analysis
- Your State
- Communications Intern (DC)
- For Jobs and Internships with our sister organization, Progressive States Action (PSA), please visit the Jobs & Internships section of the PSA website.
Progressive States Network (PSN) and its sister organization Progressive States Action (PSA) are seeking a Communications Intern. Do you enjoy keeping up with the news and writing about policy? Are you as savvy with social media tools as you are with troubleshooting computer glitches? Are you often complimented on your excellent writing skills? We want to hear from you!
The communications intern will work directly with the communications team, as well as other members of PSN/PSA staff in New York City and Washington, DC. This intern will participate in a variety of activities, including web-based projects, research, writing, and event planning. Specific duties may include, but not be limited to, PSN/PSA event assistance, outreach, communications trainings and webinars, press conferences, media list maintenance, contact databases, managing technical aspects of our website content, photos and video. There may be other office duties as assigned. Responsibilities may be adjusted to meet shifting PSN/PSA needs.
PSN/PSA seeks an intern to assist the communications and technical team with the day-to-day activities of a busy shop. All undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to apply. Successful applicants will be bright, ambitious self-starters with an interest in public policy, politics and communications and the skills to integrate all aspects. Excellent writing skills and online social media experience are required. Basic familiarity with HTML and/or Drupal, experience with traditional media graphic design, and/or programming chops are all huge plusses.
- This internship is unpaid. Class credit may be arranged with your college or university.
- Scheduling is flexible based on applicant’s schedule. A minimum of 15-20 hours per week is required, 20-25 hours per week preferred. Occasional evenings and weekend availability preferred but not required.
- The internship runs from September-December, with flexible start and end dates. Scheduling is flexible based on applicant’s availability.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
This internship will be based out of our Washington, DC office.
Send a current resume, cover letter, short (no longer than 1 page) writing sample answering the following question: What issue in the health care/immigration/election reform/workers’ rights/public education movement are you most passionate about? Please also provide two references to N. Mayers at email@example.com. Please use “COMMUNICATIONS INTERNSHIP – DC” as the subject line.
Progressive States Network and Progressive States Action are equal opportunity employers.